For sampling in the quarter wood (groove) on some models put a shaft open on one side, as well as a parallel stop and a planing depth adjuster.
This solution extends the functionality of the tool. With it, you can make blanks for window frames and other joinery products.
To remove the angled facets on the front sole of the plane, there are triangular grooves (grooves) at an angle of 45 degrees. They help to keep the tool tilted to the surface of the workpiece.
The width of planing is an important parameter of this tool. On sale, there are usually three sizes: 82, 102 and 110 mm.
Professionals of wood processing in choosing an electric plane pay attention to the class of steel from which the knives are made. If you see the letters HSS in the description of the tool, it means that the blades are made of high-speed steel.
The second option – carbide metal, denoted by the letters HD. It is better than HSS cuts hard wood, but is afraid of overheating and can crack when meeting with an occasional nail.
Features of work
Work with electric cars requires certain knowledge. Without them, you can not qualitatively process the board or timber.
In particular, the smoothness of the surface depends heavily on how fast you drive the wood tool. Therefore, never hurry. Move the electric plane without force and pressure.
The quality of work is also significantly affected by the humidity of the wood and the set depth of planing. Therefore, if you want to align the raw board, set this parameter to the minimum.
The arrangement of fibers relative to the direction of movement of the tool is another factor that affects the final result. Look at the wood pattern and try not to plan it against the wood fiber. If there is no other way out, then moving the plane along the board, lead it slowly, without tension, giving the engine time to cope with the growing resistance.
To protect yourself and others, do not forget to study the instructions that come with this instrument.
The rules for safe handling are easy to remember:
- Before starting work, it is necessary to inspect the insulation of the electrical wire, plugs, sockets, extension cords and ensure its integrity;
- When working in wet rooms, connect the plane to the network only through the RCD (protective shutdown device). It will protect you from electric shock if it leaks;
- Use of protective glasses during work is a prerequisite;
- Before turning on the tool, make sure that the start button is not locked in position;
- When changing knives or cleaning tools from chips, it must be disconnected from the mains;
- During work near you there should not be strangers, children and animals.
There is a national rating of planes, based on practical experience of their application. With some of his positions, we’ll get acquainted a little later, but for now let’s see what to focus on when choosing your electric assistant.
You May Interested: How to Use a Wood Planer